Sunday, December 16, 2012

Christmas Bird Count

Lianne and Dorothy
Today was the Christmas Bird Count. We were lucky that the lousy day predicted wasn't to start until noon, and even though it was chilly, at least it wasn't windy.

I was in a group with Lianne and Dorothy. Our territory was Hammond Pond, Houghton gardens, Newton South and Kennard Park.

I'm sorry to say that it was awfully quiet for us. I don't have my list in front of me, but a few of the highlights included 4-5 ring-necked ducks, a blue heron seen by Dorothy, a brown creeper as we entered the path at Hammond Pond and a Sharp-shinned hawk in a backyard near Houghton gardens.

Otherwise, we were lucky to see a few blue jays, chickadees, titmice, robins, downies, a red-breasted nuthatch, a white-breasted nuthatch, a song sparrow, a tree sparrow, house finches, goldfinches, juncos, mourning doves, sea gulls (we couldn't see well enough to identify), Canada geese, mallards and a red-tail hawk. We heard a Carolina wren at Newton South, but didnt see it. We didn't see the Northern Shovelers that Matt saw earlier at the reservoir and then were reported to have landed in Hammond Pond. That would have been quite nice!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know... a creeper, red-breasted nuthatch, and sharpie sound pretty good to me. Though I'm a little surprised that the red-heads weren't at Hammond Pond.

    ReplyDelete