Sunday, March 28, 2010

Close Encounters of the Blue Kind

It's sunny today but only 29 degrees at 7:00 a.m. The bluebird couple appeared right away in the lower gardens. I know that Ian and Haynes had seen them recently so I was excited to see them as well.

Didn't have too much time to spend at Nahanton today. Looked for the owl, but no sightings. The woods are still so flooded that you can't take the path behind the upper gardens down to the river.

Mostly heard and saw our usual friends i.e., cardinals, blue jays, juncos, goldfinches, robins, our woodpeckers, chickadees, song sparrows etc.

I spent most of my time watching the bluebirds today. As I mentioned, first I saw them down in the lower gardens, but then as I came out of the swamp trail, I saw one of them on their bird box from last year. I watched for quite some time as the female first sat on the box for a long period of time and then kept looking in the hole and checking everything out. I wonder what she was thinking. He was on a shrub nearby keeping an eye on everything.

Eventually, they both flew off to some scrub near the path to the lower gardens. I followed them and was able to see them both together in this bush. Also saw them forage around on the ground a bit. I'm curious to see how things develop, because Haynes thinks there may be two pairs. Wouldn't that be great if they both nested here this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment