Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Toot, toot, toot, ...

A new bird for me at the Park: Saw-whet Owl, heard from the back corner of the lower garden. The unmown Wildflower Meadow seems to have attracted some interesting birds. Most of the sparrows were hanging out in the weeds there. There were a few mergansers on the river.

Hooded Merganser  3     1 m, 2 f
Common Merganser  1     f
gull sp.  2
Mourning Dove  5     jcc
Northern Saw-whet Owl  1     Heard only: sequence of breathy toots, medium pitch, varying slightly. From corner of lower garden.
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1     f, jcc
Blue Jay  10
Black-capped Chickadee  5
White-breasted Nuthatch  2     jcc
American Robin  4
Northern Mockingbird  2     upper and lower gardens
American Tree Sparrow  4
Song Sparrow  4
White-throated Sparrow  1
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)  8
Northern Cardinal  1
American Goldfinch  2

3 comments:

  1. Haynes, where were all those birds when I was there on Sunday????? Very, very exciting about the saw-whet owl!!!! I hope it stays for the weekend! I'd love to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haynes, I was so excited, I went down around 5:15 p.m. to see if I could hear it. Didn't want to get out of the car though, in the pitch black, but didn't hear anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah! What a find! the Saw-whet is on my short list of cool birds i'd like to find. I was actually there yesterday afternoon and didn't know about this owl till another birder came up and asked if I'd heard anything. Alas didn't see anything.

    Suzette, I must have just missed you, i must have been just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete