Sunday, May 2, 2021

Warblers!

Yellow Warbler
Got to the park around 7:30. It was 52 degrees and the clouds were making way for some beautiful sunshine.

The house wrens are back in a big way! It seemed like they were everywhere! There were so many singing, I wasn't even sure which way to turn! Our tree swallows are guarding their boxes. Robins and jays were there of course, as well as song sparrows and mourning doves. A Canada goose flew over ahead. My first oriole male was spotted - his bright orange and black looking so beautiful against the background of the white crabapple flowers.

Chipping Sparrow
The upper gardens had several chipping sparrows and cowbirds milling about under a hanging feeder. A
red-bellied woodpecker called from the woods. The catbirds are back and singing furiously. Mrs. Robin was not in her nest, but I have seen her there on other days. And a yellow warbler couple is back! Yay!

At the circle near the soccer field, there was suddenly a lot of activity and brightly colored yellow rump males and females appeared as well as a black & white warbler and a lone palm warbler. When the flurry died down, I heard a wood thrush singing hear the soccer field. I walked through the brush in search and finally found it, though every time I approached it moved and then flew off. Its song is so pretty.

Cowbird
When I check out the pond, I was surprised to see a creature swimming. Was it a beaver or a muskrat? It would swim and then dive and I was trying to determine if the tail was flat or not. I am fairly confident that it was a beaver and not a muskrat. That was a first!
Saw some chickadees and red-winged blackbirds.

Looked for any signs of the lady slipper foliage, but nothing so far. Last year the foliage was showing around May 10th, so hopefully things pop up soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment