Sunday, January 24, 2010

It's January - What can I say...


Mixed clouds, some blue sky and about 27 degrees at 8:45 a.m., but by 10:00 it is 37 degrees!

Took a walk down to the river to see if I could find the mergansers again. I heard the red bellied woodpecker near the pond on the way down and later in the stand of trees bordering the upper gardens and soccer field but never did see it - however, we had a beautiful pair in our backyard a few days ago. That was a nice surprise.

Some kind person is feeding the birds by leaving seed on a picnic table down near the river. (I may join this effort myself). At any rate, it attracted song sparrows, tree sparrows and white throated sparrows whom I have pictured here, sharing their dining table while a pair of mourning doves watched from above. Sadly, the mergansers were not there but I'm sure they will reappear.

As I walked along the river I saw a few robins, a mockingbird and some goldfinches. I hit the upper gardens from the back side. A cardinal, tree sparrow and robin were foraging away on the ground. With the crunching snow and cool temps, I try and imagine what it's like to have to find food all day long. I'm constantly amazed by the fortitude of these little creatures.

Nothing much happening in the lower gardens. Very quiet. The light is changing though and I know that spring will be coming and I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Suzette!

    It seems like you've been busy. Hooded Mergansers? Bluebirds? The unknown owl? I am so jealous! I took a stroll around Nahanton yesterday afternoon. You can read about the results on my blog. I am going to to my best to get back into the habit of updating regularly.

    Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete