Sunday, May 3, 2015

My first yellow rump sighting

Chipping Sparrow
At 6:45 a.m. it was cloudy but clearing and about 48 degrees.

The tree swallows and some cardinals greeted me in the parking lot and lots of yellow warblers singing. The lower gardens had our usual residents - robins, blue jays, song sparrows and our summer residents - cowbirds. A bright, crisp chipping sparrow was hanging out in a crabapple tree.

The upper gardens were much the same with the addition of some titmice, Canada geese overhead, catbirds, chickadees, and my first yellow rumps of the season. Yay!! I saw one unusual one that had a yellow throat. I poured through  my Sibley guide and it seemed to be the Audubon, although I hear they are rare around here, but it's the only thing that matched what I saw. In addition, there were goldfinches, downy woodpeckers and more cowbirds.

Saw an eastern phoebe down by the river, but not sign of it nesting yet. Woodcock meadow was quiet save for a downy, chipper and mourning dove.

The soccer field had a kinglet, blue heron, red-bellied woodpecker and Haynes saw a muskrat or beaver in the pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment