Sunday, May 1, 2022

May Day! and some mystery deaths...

It was a beautiful morning. Sunny, 40 degrees at 7:00 a.m.

The lower gardens sported blue jays, chickadees, a cowbird, nuthatches, robins, song sparrows, grackles, titmice and red winged blackbirds. The large crabapple tree is in full splendor! Gardens are just beginning to be attended to.

The upper gardens had several tree swallows, already reserving their nesting boxes. However, I was most surprised to see a male bluebird poking his head out of one of them. I hope he can fend off the swallows. It has been such a long time since blue birds have nested in the upper gardens. A large flicker was hanging out on a tree branch, a robin had nesting material, but was so cautious about showing anyone where the nest would be that I ran out of patience and had to move on. Several song sparrows were foraging and singing.

The soccer field/pond area had robins, red wing blackbirds and 2 savannah sparrows high up in one of the trees bordering the soccer field. As I approached the path to the vernal pool, I was stunned to see a large, dead skunk near the edge. It was in a strange curled up position - almost as if it was sleeping, but it was not breathing. It looked very intact, so I am not sure what could have happened to it. It was also in this area, only 4 feet away, that I saw a dead wood thrush. The thrush looked like something had attacked it. There are so few of them and they are so special, that it made me very sad.

I moved on to the river, where our Eastern phoebe is already sitting on her nest perched in the eaves of the Nature Center. Such a reliable and wonderful sight. There were cardinals and robins and a downy woodpecker. I have noticed more and more bird houses being erected which is great and also lots more feeders which the birds are really appreciating!

Woodcock Meadow had some mourning doves, robins, blue jays, gold finches, chickadees and heard my first house wren of the season!

Checked out the woods for signs of lady slipper foliage, but it is too early.

No comments:

Post a Comment