Saturday, May 14, 2022

Rose-breasted Grosbeak Couple

Rose-breasted Grosbeak Male
Got to the park at 7:00 a.m. A beautiful day! Sunny and 69 degrees.

I thought it would be very birdy since the Northeast winds stopped blowing, but it was actually pretty quiet.

The lower gardens had tree swallows (but not nearly as many as previous years, unless it's still early?), song sparrows, mourning doves, robins, catbirds, house wrens, blue jays, cardinals and a nuthatch. The female oriole is finessing her nest which is almost complete.

The bluebird couple have still held on to their nesting box, so I am feeling somewhat optimistic that they may be able to successfully breed there this year. 

There were some goldfinches and a couple of red-bellied woodpeckers. I was most excited to see a pair of red-breasted grosbeaks in a spot we have seen them before - near the grape vines. They flew away when I approached but then I heard/saw one singing in a spot that wasn't where they flew to, which made me wonder if there might be two couples...

The soccer field had a couple of yellow warblers, some catbirds, a savannah sparrow and a red-winged blackbird calling.

Along with the tree swallows, we don't seem to have nearly as many yellow warblers. Is it a late start due to the weather or is something else going on?

I have now counted 7 lady slippers, with 3 in bud!

No comments:

Post a Comment